[Tagging] Conditional destinations (hgv, bicycle, maxweight…)

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Sat Aug 1 14:13:33 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 01.08.20 15:48, David Marchal via Tagging wrote:
> Hm, it seems a smart way to manage such cases; I could add the
> restrictions on the relation, like hazmat:water=no or maxweight=12. I
> assume that, in such cases, I must create a destination_sign relation
> for unrestricted destinations, and one for each destination restriction
> (if there are several restrictions, one relation for each restriction).

> Is it widestream to have several destinations in one single relation, or
> is it necessary to add a relation per destination? Having one relation
> per destination would be a pain in the ass.

I'd say "yes" from my personal experience, but that might be biased. I'm
inclined to use the destination* tags on a relation in the same way as
those on ways.

> What about application support? Are destination_sign relations widely
> supported, or are they mostly ignored by software like Osmand?

I'm not aware of any users despite of hiking maps (i.e. waymarkedtrails.org)

> I would like to add this possibility on the Wiki; do you think it would
> be necessary to fill a proposal, or could I just add it, as it is a
> simple, self-explaining, combination of preexisting tags?

Using a vehicle type (bicycle, foot) is already used several thousand
times on the relations and even more often on the destination signs
themselves. So I don't see a problem to just use e.g. hgv as well.
We should add a statement in the Wiki documentation.

On the other hand, I wouldn't use access tags like maxweight without a
detailed discussion.
(As always, that's just my personal opinion)

Jan