[Tagging] Ahkwesáhsne, a territory of the Kanien'kehá:ka Nation of the Haudenosaunee Confederacy Was:Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sat Aug 1 20:04:06 UTC 2020

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 14:24, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> What I find interesting is that the Canadian Border Crossing is located on the North side of the Saint Lawrence River while the US crossing station is located on the South side of the river. It seems to imply that the Akwesasne Nation is not in either country.

Prosaically, many border control points are built a little away from
the actual border, where it's convenient to build them.

Per Wikipedia, the Canadian border control point was moved from the
island in 2009 after a protest against CBSA agents beginning to carry
firearms.

My personal interpretation reading between the lines is that the
current location is a compromise. You won't find the federal
government saying they don't control the land, but neither was there
an appetite to push for an all-out confrontation. That being said, the
notion of being "in a country" like Canada is of course colonial and
seems to increasingly be fraying for some Indigenous areas here.

--Jarek