[Tagging] addr:street for routes

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 04:51:09 UTC 2020

Re: “There's no textual version of the name anywhere
(except as used for the addresses of residences and POIs."

That's the standard situation where I mapped in eastern Indonesia.

The highways almost never had street signs and official maps are absent
So I would use whatever names were used commonly on shops,
And the names that local people used to describe streets or give directions.

This is verifiable information: if you go to Wamena, Indonesia (and get
an interpreter...), you can find the street names on shops and by asking
people
right there on the street.

Similarly, if you ask someone the name of the road in California with
ref="CA 96",
they will tell you "Highway 96" or perhaps "The river road". They won't say
"Nah, it doesn't have a name, just a State highway number."

– Joseph Eisenberg