[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Aug 4 11:04:55 UTC 2020

On Monday 03 August 2020, muralito at montevideo.com.uy wrote:

> i will try.
>

> in my last mail i'm questioning the coastline placement in several
> rivers. so,
> -what are we mapping the coastline for?
> -what we want from the "coastline"?
> -what questions are we going to answer, or could we answer, with that
> modeling of the coastline/world? (or we just draw it for the
> renderer)

In general in OSM

* we are not mapping for a specific purpose, we are documenting local
knowledge about the verifiable geography of the world.
* what individual tags mean and how they are to be used is decided by
the mappers using them - but not individually on a case-by-case basis
but collectively by all the mappers of OSM together.

The problem we have here is that there seems to be a fairly massive
discrepancy between what some local mappers in the region seem to view
natural=coastline to mean and what mappers in other parts of the world
have in mind there.  My request for you to formulate a universal rule
is meant to gauge that difference and evaluate options for a consensus.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/