[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:28:55 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 3:18 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> These rules would exclude the lower Rio De La Plata and the lower part of
> the mouth of the Saint Lawrence river, as well as other wide estuaries
> where winds and tides have more influence on surface water flow than does
> the discharge of the river. It would not prevent mapping the Hudson mouth
> at the southern tip of Manhattan, because the flow is strong all the way to
> New York Harbor, if I understand correctly.

The Hudson definitely reverses flow. One of its names among the First
Peoples translates to 'the river flows both ways.'  The division in the
flow lies less in the fraction of the tidal cycle than the speed of the
current. It flows 'upstream' for half the time, 'downstream' for half, but
the downstream current is considerably swifter.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin