[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - more parking types

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 19:54:56 UTC 2020

On 07/08/2020 14.39, Philip Barnes wrote:
> I am not 100% sure but McDonalds that have a drive through have special
> spaces where you are told to wait if your order is taking a long time
> to clear the queue. Is that what this means?

"No", because those are not *parking* spaces as was previously
discussed. (Um... not sure where, possibly in one of the threads linked
in the proposal.) OTOH *I* wouldn't be adverse to overloading it with
that meaning, but technically speaking such spaces are not *parking*
spaces, because you are not supposed to park in them. (Note the
difference between "parking", "standing" and "stopping". You are
supposed to *stop* in them, but not *park*.)

> We also have loading bays where you can stop for a few minutes to
> collect things you have bought and cannot carry to the car park, there
> is no specific time limit here but you are expected to not be far away.
> Again is that what this means.

That is explicitly "standing". Previous comments apply.

Again, the *intended* use is for *parking* spaces (park, go inside,
collect a to-go order, possibly *order* a to-go order and wait for it to
be made... but don't sit down and eat at the restaurant). However *I*
would not object to using it for any sort of parking/standing/stopping
space where you are expected to not be long (and the space is
specifically signed with something like "loading only") but there is not
a specific time limit. Others might object, however. (Probably on the
basis that this is not "parking", on which point they *are* technically
correct.)

--
Matthew