[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Takeaway drinks shops

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:08:56 UTC 2020

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 13:50, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 10. Aug 2020, at 14:11, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Not exactly.  Shop fits where consumption is not allowed on the premises.
>
> while it could be an indication, there isn’t such a strong rule that you
> could tell from seeing a shop=* tag that consumption is never allowed at
> all. At least in Germany for some kind of shop, e.g. shop=bakery or
> shop=butcher, there could be a few tables where you can stand (or sit, but
> if it’s for sitting it would be called a cafe) and eat things that you
> bought without it necessarily becoming a „cafe“ or fast food, nor an
> amenity=bakery

We're into cultural edge cases here.

There are places with lots of seats for consumption on the premises.  And
places
with no seats at all for consumption off the premises.  Calling both of
those
amenities is not helpful.  Calling both of those shops is not helpful.  We
clearly
need both amenity and shop IF both of those types of establishment exist for
bubble tea.

Cultural edge cases are up to the individual mapper to choose between shop
and amenity.  Or would be, if we could establish that both shop and amenity
are needed in the first place.  If you disagree with that, then whichever
of shop
or amenity you think is the best fit to your cultural edge case and should
therefore apply to all types of establishment in all countries, I want the
other
one.  If you think they should all be shops, even though they have some
seats, I think they should all be amenities even if they allow consumption
on the premises.  If you think they should all be amenities even if they
don't
allow consumption on the premises, I think they should all be shops even if
they have seats.  Why would I take such a contrarian attitude?  Because I
don't
think bringing in a cultural edge case was particularly helpful here, but
if that's
how you want to play it...

--
Paul