[Tagging] bridge:name and tunnel:name

Arne Johannessen arne at thaw.de
Sat Aug 15 15:31:21 UTC 2020

dktue <email at daniel-korn.de> wrote:
> Am 15.08.2020 um 11:18 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
>> [...] For all of our common usecases, mapping the way through the tunnel and indicating it is inside a tunnel is sufficient, that’s why we do not map them in greater detail so far). An implicit tunnel is considered sufficient.

Yes. This was my point exactly.

> To come back to my original question: I'd like to change the wiki to say that tagging name=* for the road and tunnel:name=* for the tunnel's name is preferred. Anyone who opposes this opinion?

Yes, I oppose, as I've said in my earlier message.

The way I see it, a road is represented as a series of OSM ways. A tunnel is typically represented by adding the tag tunnel=yes to one of them. For that particular way (!), the fact that there is a tunnel is usually more important than the fact there is a road. Common usage reflects this as well (e. g. in radio traffic reports). Therefore, the tunnel's name is the primary name for that particular way, and thus belongs into the name=* tag.

The full name tagging for a road tunnel should usually look like this:

name=The Tunnel
highway:name=The Road

Possible alternative (some duplication, but perhaps more clear?):

name=The Tunnel
tunnel:name=The Tunnel
highway:name=The Road

IIUC, the proposed change would basically result in:

name=The Road
highway:name=The Road
tunnel:name=The Tunnel

Coming from current practice, I'd say this tagging is correct if and only if locals actually commonly refer to the section of road inside the tunnel by the road name instead of the tunnel name most of the time.

I'm sure that's true for some tunnels, but I am not currently aware of even a single one of those. It's clearly not the typical case. Therefore, the proposed change doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

As a counter-proposal for the tunnel=* page, we could perhaps replace the name sentence with something like this:

	[[
The common name of a tunnel should usually be tagged as name=*. If whatever goes through the tunnel has a separate name, that name may be added using e. g. highway:name=*. If necessary (e. g. to avoid doubt), the tag tunnel:name=* may be added containing the name of the tunnel, specifically.
	]]

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name> currently says:

--
Arne Johannessen