[Tagging] oneway=yes on motorways

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 14:02:33 UTC 2020

On 14/08/2020 17.57, António Madeira via Tagging wrote:
> In this
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway#How_to_map>
> section, I suggest changing the text:
> "These ways should all point direction of travel and be tagged with
> oneway=yes."

> "These ways should all point direction of travel and imply oneway=yes
> (like junction=roundabout), therefore the oneway tag is redundant and
> should be avoided."

FWIW, I am also in favor of preferring explicit tagging; oneway={yes,no}
says that someone paid enough attention to intentionally annotate the
way thusly. An implicit tag is impossible to tell apart from an
oversight. IMHO we should never, *ever* discourage adding explicit tags
even if they are "superfluous".

(I even wish Osmose wouldn't complain about oneway=yes on roundabouts...)

--
Matthew