[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 14:10:58 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 18. Aug 2020, at 05:34, Paul White <pjwhite1010 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wanted to raise a concern about tagging house numbers on a building using a hyphen to denote the address range (e.g 33-55 Main Street).

I am not sure for buildings, but for addresses I use this all the time, because these are common addresses around here. There are some issues with this, for example if the address is 35-39 you cannot tell for sure whether this means 35;37;39 or 35;36;37;38;39
On the other hand I don’t care ;-)
It’s their address, and I might also map the individual numbers and their positions additionally, so it might eventually become more clear to someone looking at the situation.
Sometimes when the business uses 37/39 I will admittedly convert this to 37;39 for clarity.

Cheers Martin