[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 18 19:50:05 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-18 20:55, Clay Smalley wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:26 AM Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> There are two use cases here: one is "what is the address of this building (or whatever)" and the other is the reverse situation: "where can I find number XXX". As long as we have tagging that is potentially ambiguous we won't be able to cover both.
>> In the US I know of cases where an apartment number can follow the street address, i.e. 10-321 meaning Street Address 10, apartment 321. In Europe I know of the suffix being used to indicate apartment number, or floor number - e.g. 379-3 meaning Street Address 379, Floor/Flat 3. Sometimes other characters are used for the floor/flat such as A/B/C or I/II/III - in these cases it is unambiguous because it is non-numeric.
>
> Can you point out some examples? I've never seen that syntax used in US addresses.

If you mean the US example, some friends were living in Long Island
City, Queens, NY, and their apartment address was something like
1100-157 50th Ave. The other examples are possibly typically European.
Here in the Netherlands there are all kinds of notations in use for
sub-units. The national addressing standard has a field for an
alphanumeric "house number suffix" for this that people in IT know
about, but the average Johan might not know what a
"huisnummertoevoeging" is. Normally the full number, including the
suffix, is written together with some kind of separator.

There are also areas where the whole neighbourhood has a single street
name, and everybody has a very long house number; the initial digits of
the house number indicate the specific road within the neighbourhood.
Sometimes these house numbers are written as 123-45 to aid navigation.

>> On the other hand using the "1-5" notation to indicate a range is pretty well understood in the UK at least. What it is missing is the "interpolation" value (even, odd, all).
>> So let us sort this mess out by defining:
>> 1) that a hyphen indicates a range
>> 2) sub-addresses like a floor or apartment number must not use the hyphen notation, but must be given in addr:unit
>> 3) an address using the range syntax should indicate the interpolation scheme by means of addr:interpolation=*
>
> This leaves the situation in Queens, NY unsolved, where hyphenated addresses do not indicate ranges.

As I mentioned above I know that hyphenated addresses can be used for
subdivisions (apartments etc). Are there any other scenarios for
hyphenated addresses?