[Tagging] We should stop using hyphens to denote address ranges

Clay Smalley claysmalley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:39:52 UTC 2020

If you

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 12:51 PM Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2020-08-18 20:55, Clay Smalley wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 11:26 AM Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> There are two use cases here: one is "what is the address of this
>> building (or whatever)" and the other is the reverse situation: "where can
>> I find number XXX". As long as we have tagging that is potentially
>> ambiguous we won't be able to cover both.
>> In the US I know of cases where an apartment number can follow the street
>> address, i.e. 10-321 meaning Street Address 10, apartment 321. In Europe I
>> know of the suffix being used to indicate apartment number, or floor number
>> - e.g. 379-3 meaning Street Address 379, Floor/Flat 3. Sometimes other
>> characters are used for the floor/flat such as A/B/C or I/II/III - in these
>> cases it is unambiguous because it is non-numeric.
>>

> Can you point out some examples? I've never seen that syntax used in US
> addresses.
>

> If you mean the US example, some friends were living in Long Island City,
> Queens, NY, and their apartment address was something like 1100-157 50th
> Ave. The other examples are possibly typically European. Here in the
> Netherlands there are all kinds of notations in use for sub-units. The
> national addressing standard has a field for an alphanumeric "house number
> suffix" for this that people in IT know about, but the average Johan might
> not know what a "huisnummertoevoeging" is. Normally the full number,
> including the suffix, is written together with some kind of separator.

I think you misunderstand hyphenated addresses in Queens. The second part
of the hyphenation is not a flat/apartment number. As an example, the
Dunkin Donuts at the corner of 31st St and 36th Ave has an address of 31-02
36th Ave, with no apartment number. The US Postal Service considers this to
be equivalent to 3102 36th Ave, and will deliver mail to the same place
regardless of whether you include the hyphen, though the address written on
the entrance is hyphenated. Most building numbers in Queens have a hyphen
before the last two digits.

There are also areas where the whole neighbourhood has a single street
> name, and everybody has a very long house number; the initial digits of the
> house number indicate the specific road within the neighbourhood. Sometimes
> these house numbers are written as 123-45 to aid navigation.

Examples?

-Clay