[Tagging] Benches and hostile architecture

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 00:46:27 UTC 2020

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 at 01:27, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 24. Aug 2020, at 01:45, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's hostile to public urinators.
>
> agreed, but isn’t publicly urinating an offense anyway?

In most jurisdictions.  So is sleeping on a public bench in many
jurisdictions.
Countermeasures are hostile to those who would otherwise commit
offences.  Which is why the wikipedia article considers uncomfortable
benches and walls that discourage urination to be hostile architecture.

Speed limits are also hostile to people who like to drive fast for example.

I'm not seriously suggesting we map them this way but speed bumps are
technically hostile architecture. :)

--
Paul