[Tagging] Confusion bicycle_road <> cyclestreet

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 12:22:14 UTC 2020

Hi Volker,

I tried to clarify the German bit on the cyclestreet page. It wasn't clear
enough that the German section on cyclestreet had as point to say: "in
Germany cyclestreet=* does not exist, they have bicycle_road instead".
These two concepts maybe could have had the same tag from the start with
just slightly different implications.

Op di 25 aug. 2020 om 12:15 schreef Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
> I have come across a new (to me) street sign In Italy:
> https://italy-cycling-guide.info/tips-advice/riding-in-italy/
> The road is a one-lane residential road on which bicycles and pedestrians
> can circulate.
> I don't know the legal status, however (I am inquiring).
>
> In that contest I have noticed that we have two wiki pages defining two
> tags, which seem to be describing nearly the same concept:
> bicycle_road <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bicycle_road>
> created 14:54, 7 August 2010
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:bicycle_road&oldid=512933>‎
>
> cyclestreet
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:cyclestreet>
> created 09:58, 9 May 2018
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:cyclestreet&oldid=1607471>‎
>

> The main difference, as I understand it, is that the bicycle road is for
> bicycles only, unless there are additional signs, whereas
> on a cycle street "cars are also allowed. However, this car use is limited
> by the character and layout of the cyclestreet"
>
> To make the confusion perfect, both wiki pages use the same (German) road
> sign as illustration for the situation in Germany.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_244_-_Beginn_der_Fahrradstra%C3%9Fe,_StVO_1997.svg
>
> Taginfo:
> bicycle_road=yes
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle_road%3Dyes> 7906