[Tagging] Confusion bicycle_road <> cyclestreet

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:32:31 UTC 2020

Well, in the Netherlands cyclestreet seems to be a "suggestional" traffic
sign. In Belgium cyclestreet it has a clear legal meaning. In Germany
bicycle_road has a clear (but quite different) legal meaning. So putting
the Dutch and Belgian thing together but not the German, that doesn't make
much sense. There's plenty of discussion on the Dutch forum about this. A
fundamental remark: "apps that use the original German definition will see
the road as forbidden for cars unless otherwise tagged", which does not
make sense in Belgium or Holland.

See e.g.
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=63473
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=709379#p709379
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NL:The_Netherlands_roads_tagging

Op wo 26 aug. 2020 om 08:51 schreef Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org>:

> I am curious is there any difference in practical use of this two tags.
>
> Aug 25, 2020, 12:13 by voschix at gmail.com:
>
> Hi,
> I have come across a new (to me) street sign In Italy:
> https://italy-cycling-guide.info/tips-advice/riding-in-italy/
> The road is a one-lane residential road on which bicycles and pedestrians
> can circulate.
> I don't know the legal status, however (I am inquiring).
>
> In that contest I have noticed that we have two wiki pages defining two
> tags, which seem to be describing nearly the same concept:
> bicycle_road <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bicycle_road>
> created 14:54, 7 August 2010
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:bicycle_road&oldid=512933>
>> cyclestreet
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:cyclestreet>
> created 09:58, 9 May 2018
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:cyclestreet&oldid=1607471>‎
>

> The main difference, as I understand it, is that the bicycle road is for
> bicycles only, unless there are additional signs, whereas
> on a cycle street "cars are also allowed. However, this car use is limited
> by the character and layout of the cyclestreet"
>
> To make the confusion perfect, both wiki pages use the same (German) road
> sign as illustration for the situation in Germany.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_244_-_Beginn_der_Fahrradstra%C3%9Fe,_StVO_1997.svg
>
> Taginfo:
> bicycle_road=yes
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle_road%3Dyes> 7906