[Tagging] edit war related to tagging of a bus-only major road

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:57:38 UTC 2020

On 09/12/2020 14:36, Michael Tsang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm working with some roads in Central area in Hong Kong. Des Voeux Road
> Central is considered one of the most important roads in the area which I
> tagged it as highway=secondary, however another editor has repeatedly changed
> it to highway=service on the fact that that road is closed to motor vehicles
> except buses. An edit war has appeared.
>
> Here is the relevant changesets and ways:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/94428780#map=17/22.28199/114.15872
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/242113655#map=17/22.28168/114.15911

My recollection from when I was there about 10 years ago was "primary",
actually - and that's what OSM had at around that time:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/113u
http://osm.mapki.com/history/way.php?id=88695241 .  Unless things have
changed significantly on the ground (always possible - 10 years is a
long time in Hong Kong) I'd definitely have thought somewhere at the
higher end would make sense.  I would never have thought of it as a
service road.

In case anyone's wondering "how on earth can you remember one road from
10 years ago" the HSBC building on that road is a huge landmark (in all
senses of the word).

Best Regards,

Andy