[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Ture Pålsson ture at turepalsson.se
Sun Dec 13 15:01:42 UTC 2020

> 13 dec. 2020 kl. 15:21 skrev Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:
>
>  I'm probably misunderstanding this, but torp doesn't seem to be a type of
> building.  The tag building=torp says that this building IS a torp (as
> opposed to a house, or a shop, or a garage, or a shed, or a barn).
> If you feel a need to indicate that a building was once part of a torp,
> building=torp isn't the way to do it.

You’re right; I was extremely sloppy with terminology there. A torp is (or rather was) a small farm, usually either part of a bigger farm and farmed by a tenant, paying rent to the bigger farm in the form of work, or farmed by a soldier (paying rent by, well, being a soldier). Today, most of them are either completely gone or used as summer houses, very probably not with the original building.

I suppose what I wanted to say was:

* place=locality is used about all sorts of things, both inhabited and uninhabited, and is pretty much useless.

* There are many places around Sweden (and probably the rest of the world as well!) where there is just forest (or fields) today, that have a name because they were, at some time, a torp (or some other kind of settlement). To render these in ”swedish topo-map style” (i.e, italics), some sort of tagging is needed to say ”this place has a name because it used to be a farm/torp/whatever, but today there is nothing here”. (I suppose some would argue that these should not be in OSM at all, because they are very hard to verify on the ground).

* There are also isolated dwellings, hamlets, villages, suburbs and airport car parks (comparing old and present-day maps around Stockholm-Arlanda airport is quite fun) whose names refer to long-gone torps, but those can be tagged according to their present-day usage.

And I’d like to apologize to Anders for derailing this thread by bringing up the subject at all! It was intended as an illustration of the uselessness of locality, but I got a bit carried away. Trying to render consistent maps from inconsistent OSM data does that to you. =)