[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 20:30:17 UTC 2020

Currently the features with the tag "name=Kebnekaise" are 2 ways which
extend north-south and to the west from these two peaks and are also tagged
natural=arete (an arete is a knife-edged ridge formed between 2 glaciers).

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/123215393#map=13/67.8934/18.4509&layers=C
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/407174801#map=14/67.8999/18.5215&layers=C

Is this correct based on your local knowledge of the area?

If in fact Kebnekaise is the name of the ridges or aretes, then this is a
good way to represent the name of the "mountain" which in this case appears
to be a thin ridge between glaciers.

Note that Opentopomap handles this fairly well:
https://www.opentopomap.org/#map=14/67.90026/18.50553 and
https://www.opentopomap.org/#map=13/67.90113/18.46716

I believe OpenTopoMap also renders natural=mountain_range ways:
https://www.opentopomap.org/#map=12/38.4613/-4.1566

OpenTopoMap uses a special script to assign an isolation value to each
peak: that is, how far is it away from another natural=peak (or
natural=volcano) with a larger elevation value? If it is a long way, the
peak will be rendered even at low zoom levels (large scales), for example:
https://www.opentopomap.org/#map=7/67.900/18.479

This hasn't been implemented in the OpenStreetMap-Carto style because it is
somewhat complicated and might have performance problems and there are
issues with using more pre-processing of the raw data when it comes to
mapper feedback, but the code used by OpenTopoMap is here:
https://github.com/der-stefan/OpenTopoMap/pull/129 and
https://github.com/der-stefan/OpenTopoMap/pull/130  if anyone else wants to
implement this for their own maps.

-- Joseph