[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Dec 13 20:12:28 UTC 2020

Dec 13, 2020, 19:58 by anders at torger.se:

> Do you have a suggestion of how to map Sweden's highest mountain, Kebnekaise?
>

> The mountain is called Kebnekaise, it has two peaks, one is called "Sydtoppen" ("the south peak"), the other "Nordtoppen" ("the north peak").

I admit that I have no good idea, if I would run into such case and failed to find a better idea
(hopefully one will come) I would invent a new way to tag that.

natural=mountain? Main problem is where to put it - node at arbitrary position between peaks?
Node at location of highest peak? Area? Relation? All of that is sadly problematic.

> (The mountain_range tag is a great tag, but I note that its status is just "in use", it's not an approved tag :-O.)

It is perfectly fine to use tags that never went through tagging proposal, though
I am not going to endorse this one. Tagging mountain ranges seems to poorly fit OSM
with multiple different opinions where mountain range starts/ends and inability to
verify it by survey.

All tags were in some stage rarely used before becoming heavily used,
only some cases went through a proposal process.