[Tagging] How to put a name tag on an area with more than one type?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Tue Dec 15 10:00:23 UTC 2020

When I started using JOSM, which is not so long ago, I hated it. If one
is used to graphic software from say Adobe etc, many things in the user
interface feel backwards. But now when I've got into it, one can really
work effectively. When I started I didn't really understand the
multipolygon concept fully either, so the error messages I got was
really cryptic, but now when I understand all these things JOSM works
great.

What I do miss in JOSM though is advanced tools for managing
multipolygons, there are some splitting and joining and some additional
tools as plugins, but these are generally limited in scope, so I often
end up having to hand-edit the ways and relations when making more
advanced splits/joins/geometry upgrades. For that the relation editor
works very well though, but one really needs to know what one's doing
:-).

If one is a programmer and want to contribute to OSM mapping efficiency
as the OSM map becomes more and more detailed, I believe developing more
advanced and complete multipolygon tools for JOSM is a good bet.

In iD, areas with multipolygons can be very hard to edit, unless you
know how they are constructed so you can go in and hand-edit tags. So
they can be a bit of a pain, but they are unavoidable if we want
detailed mapping, and as the map develops we get more and more into this
space.

/Anders