[Tagging] The saga of landuse=reservoir vs water=reservoir

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 19:11:47 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 1:24 PM Tomas Straupis <tomasstraupis at gmail.com>
wrote:

>   This might be correct. I guess it depends on direction you look at
> it: what is exception from the reservoir rule - hard shoreline or non
> hard. I was thinking of the ways to map fuzzy shore in OSM and had the
> same idea to tag fuzzy shoreline as a line - this would be the same
> way as in your example but would need to de-emphasize rather than
> emphasize the shoreline. And I'm sure I've seen a legend with blackish
> border for reservoir, but do not remember if that was USGS or NATO map
> (reservoirs have some distinct properties worth depicting on some
> specific maps)... And I remember talking about lake/reservoir black
> border symbolisation with one of the leading cartography experts in
> Lithuania.

In my part of the world, the most significant reservoirs are the large ones
of the New York City water system (some of which are a couple of hundred km
from the city itself), and the Great Sacandaga Lake. They have hardened
shorelines only near the dams or where the reinforcement is needed to
protect a feature such as a highway. Otherwise, if you couldn't see the
dams (and the signage!) they'd be hard to distinguish from natural lakes.

Where I have good hydrology data, I render normal seasonal limits (by
drawing two shorelines), the presence or absence of emergent vegetation,
and the flood stage (a dashed blue line).  That makes for a pretty complex
(and somewhat 'cubistic') rendering, as at
https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test4.html?la=43.5897&lo=-74.6176&z=15,
but at least gives me some idea how likely I am to get my feet wet. (Or
drown, in the wrong season!)

I have no plans to get any of the data behind this rendering into OSM. I've
managed imports before. I might again. I'm not going to attempt one on this
scale, particularly when I'm not certain about the data quality.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin