[Tagging] The saga of landuse=reservoir vs water=reservoir

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:21:38 UTC 2020

2020-12-16, tr, 20:03 Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> rašė:
> Many smaller reservoirs have artificially hardened shorelines completely
> surrounding them, which could be why you thought that the symbology
> distinguishes 'lake' from 'reservoir.'

  This might be correct. I guess it depends on direction you look at
it: what is exception from the reservoir rule - hard shoreline or non
hard. I was thinking of the ways to map fuzzy shore in OSM and had the
same idea to tag fuzzy shoreline as a line - this would be the same
way as in your example but would need to de-emphasize rather than
emphasize the shoreline. And I'm sure I've seen a legend with blackish
border for reservoir, but do not remember if that was USGS or NATO map
(reservoirs have some distinct properties worth depicting on some
specific maps)... And I remember talking about lake/reservoir black
border symbolisation with one of the leading cartography experts in
Lithuania.