[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:traffic_calming=hillocky

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:16:18 UTC 2020

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 at 11:52, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd say they are small mounds.

Talk to an archaeologist and mounds can be quite large.  Talk to
a baseball player and mounds are smaller than archaeological
mounds but still quite a bit larger than these speed bumps.

> Hillock sounds too, er, hilly.

Indeed.  Hillocks are small hills.  Bigger than mounds.

Sadly, the manufacturers and purveyors of these things haven't
come up with a name for this particular type of speed bump,
other than proprietary, trademarked names like "Dura-bump,"
and we can't use trademarked names when they are
available from more than one manufacturer under
different trademarked names.

Even if we decide that "hillock" is a suitable description
the tag should be "hillocks" not "hillocky."  A noun, not an
adjective.  Plural because it takes more than one of them to
constitute a traffic calming measure.

They still look about the size and shape of molehills to me.
I suspect that "molehill" will enter the vernacular as a
way of referring to them - if they look like molehills...

--
Paul