[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Dec 21 06:40:09 UTC 2020

Dec 21, 2020, 01:43 by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 10:37, Martin Koppenhoefer <> dieterdreist at gmail.com> > wrote:
>

>> imagine you were mapping something, and it is legal in the place where you are, but illegal in Britain, so you can not do it. Or you are seeing things in country A and when you’re in country B you add them to OpenStreetMap (from memory), which is legal in country B but not in country A. You might be able to do it and still be arrested when going back to country A.
>>
>>  People also said in the past we should adhere to European law because otherwise our dataset can not be used in the EU (e.g. with respect to copyright and fair use). I am not sure if after the Brexit this will still be the OpenStreetMap-Foundation policy, or whether they focus completely on British law, but I am sure that Chinese law has not been deemed relevant by past and present osmf boards.
>>

> I agree it's incredibly confusing, & a legal minefield (as well as potentially a real one!), but if it's an issue, why haven't the "Warnings" been deleted from the various military pages prior to this?

OSMF board is not spending hours on monitoring wiki pages.

I am spending hours on monitoring wiki pages and noticed it only recently,
and only in a new proposal.

Anyone may edit Wiki and many things are present there because noone
noticed what is written somewhere.

> Somebody obviously considers that they should be noted there?

I am not against noting legal restrictions in some countries that may be
dangerous for some mappers. But I am against implying that it is
against OSM rules to map in China or map military bases in Russia/Israel/etc
or that it is unwanted.