[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 07:18:55 UTC 2020

Thanks

Graeme

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 16:44, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> OSMF board is not spending hours on monitoring wiki pages.
>
> I am spending hours on monitoring wiki pages and noticed it only recently,
> and only in a new proposal.
>
> Anyone may edit Wiki and many things are present there because noone
> noticed what is written somewhere.
>
> Somebody obviously considers that they should be noted there?
>
> I am not against noting legal restrictions in some countries that may be
> dangerous for some mappers. But I am against implying that it is
> against OSM rules to map in China or map military bases in
> Russia/Israel/etc
> or that it is unwanted.

The suggestion was made to me privately that this matter be raised via the
Legals list to get an official opinion or ruling, & if it is agreed that it
is a requirement, hopefully also an agreed wording for a "warning".

I agree that that is probably the best option, but also consider that it
could be left until after the proposal is accepted or not, &, once again,
it would be done as part of a clean-up of the military pages.

Thanks

Graeme