[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Dec 21 07:37:58 UTC 2020

Dec 21, 2020, 08:18 by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:

> Thanks
>
> Graeme
>

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 16:44, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> > wrote:
>

>> OSMF board is not spending hours on monitoring wiki pages.
>>
>> I am spending hours on monitoring wiki pages and noticed it only recently,
>> and only in a new proposal.
>>
>> Anyone may edit Wiki and many things are present there because noone
>> noticed what is written somewhere.
>>
>>> Somebody obviously considers that they should be noted there?
>>>
>> I am not against noting legal restrictions in some countries that may be
>> dangerous for some mappers. But I am against implying that it is
>> against OSM rules to map in China or map military bases in Russia/Israel/etc
>> or that it is unwanted.
>>

> The suggestion was made to me privately that this matter be raised via the Legals list to get an official opinion or ruling, & if it is agreed that it is a requirement, hopefully also an agreed wording for a "warning".
>
> I agree that that is probably the best option, but also consider that it could be left until after the proposal is accepted or not, &, once again, it would be done as part of a clean-up of the military pages.

At least I will vote against proposal that includes
"As always, if it is illegal in your country to map military establishments, please do not do so!".

I will certainly not demand breaking such law, or expect people to risk it. Especially
as such law is often present in countries where going against government is
especially risky.

But implying that it is also against OSM rules is not acceptable to me.

Mapping military bases in Israel, Russia, mapping anything in China/North Korea
etc should be welcomed in OSM if someone is doing this and wants that.

Though making people aware about risks is a  good idea.