[Tagging] Fuzzy areas again: should we have them or not?

Anders Torger anders at torger.se
Mon Dec 21 20:36:45 UTC 2020

Actually it seems to me that thinking about several tags at a time seems
to be a fairly new concept ;-)

Joke aside, describing a complex reality may require something more than
the simplest possible data model.

The thing got me baffled from the start is that there's so many things
regarding naming that can't be done in with OSM and any of its most
popular renderers. That have existed in regular maps since forever. To
me it's like starting to use a new word processor just to discover that
the character 'q' is in available, because the designers didn't put it
in as it's not really used as much as the other characters :-). I just
"WHAT? You must be kidding!". The omitting of obvious features (what I
thought was obvious at least) and the lack of interest to find solutions
for them just felt unreal.

But now after being on this list for a while I'm doubting myself, maybe
this isn't as obvious after all. I know mostly Swedish and to some
extent Norwegian maps, maybe all these features are non-existent in all
other countries, but I doubt it. What is somewhat special is that we
have quite a lot of rural areas, but that exists in other countries too.
I would guess that there are many native American names still alive and
well in the US nature, just like we have lots of Sami names in nature
Sweden/Norway/Finland. I think it's more about that most OSMers are
interested in urban areas, street routing and stuff like that, and
outdoor maps haven't really been much of a thing other than for simple
illustrative purposes.

I don't consider it a great achievement in design to simply just strip
away all features of maps that require a (slightly) more complex data
model. What we in OSM seem to have done is simply to adapt the end uses
after our data model, not adapt data model after what typical end uses
require. It's like if we considers these names in nature to be poorly
designed (no defined borders! booo!) and should therefore be
disregarded. But this is our culture. Those names exist and any serious
map maker takes these names seriously and find a way to represent them.
Actually I even find it disrespectful to the people of the local land
current and past to ignore the names. Locals will still know them, but
visitors will only know them from maps, and if they aren't there, they
won't exist to them.

But I hear what you are saying, and many other say. It boils down to
that OSM is not a map, it's a database with geo information, and it will
only cover those features that fit the data model that is already set
(in stone perhaps?). If a map feature needs something more, well, then
we don't do those maps, or someone else could add some extra database
and make their own renderer that can. Well, I guess that's fair enough.

I'm today leaning towards stopping to contribute to OSM as the type of
mapping I'm most interested in is what OSM on the whole is clearly least
interested in, and not really interested in improving in either. But
I'll think about it the coming weeks. As Tomas pointed out you can work
with OSM without ever caring what people in this list think or do. It
basically means that you need to implement a renderer on your own though
and make own data on the side and that's a huge task, and I'm not sure
I'm *that* interested in mapping.

/Anders