[Tagging] Fuzzy areas again: should we have them or not?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 21 21:08:36 UTC 2020

Anders,

On 12/21/20 21:36, Anders Torger wrote:
> Actually it seems to me that thinking about several tags at a time seems
> to be a fairly new concept ;-)

I think this is approximately your 15th message today on the tagging
list. Together, without quotes, you have written about 5,000 words of
original content.

Now, we are a community and your opinion is not worth more than that of
others on the list of course. The total number of regular contributors
on this list is perhaps around 20. If every one of these 20 wrote as
much as you do - as would be their right - we'd end up with about
100,000 words on tagging, every day.

The average reading speed of most adults is around 200 to 250 words per
minute (and that does not include spending time to actually think about
complex problems, just reading and understanding).

If every one of the 20 active contributors were writing as much as you
do, we'd each of us have to spend more than 6 hours reading this list
every day.

Even just what you wrote today takes 20 minutes out of the day of the
average reader (and again, this is only for reading, not for thinking
about the problem).

Please consider that many of us juggle many different responsibilities,
including work, family, or mapping.

The next time you make a point, or raise a topic for discussion:

1. Ask yourself if there's another big discussion currently ongoing. If
yes, maybe postpone the thing you want to discuss.

2. Ask yourself if you have already written more than 1000 words today.
If yes, maybe postpone your message.

3. If you have just started a topic and people are, slowly and as their
time permits, responsing to what you have written, resist the urge to
fire off an immediate reply to everyone who writes something. This is
not "Anders Torger versus the world". You can raise a topic, then you
should give everyone some time to think about it and say their opinion.

If you write so much that others stop replying, it doesn't mean you won;
it means you have ruined the medium.

Bye
Frederik