[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Emergency=Rescue Stations

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Dec 22 08:01:14 UTC 2020

Dec 22, 2020, 00:42 by graemefitz1 at gmail.com:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 at 23:24, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> > wrote:
>
>> Dec 20, 2020, 23:29 by >> graemefitz1 at gmail.com>> :

>>> They were a late addition after somebody pointed out that they exist. They would be replaced by emergency=marine_rescue, which has already been defined as groups " dedicated to the rescue of vessels &/or sailors at sea"
>>>
>> The problem is that some water rescue stations are not marine but inland.
>>

> Yes, not many but some, which is why I have changed the marine rescue definition to include "or inland waters".

marine rescue defined to not be limited to marine is quite ugly

Is term "water rescue" clear and acceptable? (not a native speaker)

> However, a  lot of the inland rescue stations that I have looked at, appear to be lifeguard services intended to look after swimmers close to shore, rather than vessels &/or sailors in deeper waters, so they should probably be listed under one of the lifeguard tags?

At least https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=54.0312&mlon=21.7749#map=12/54.0312/21.7749
(at relatively small lake) has[1] speedboats and other equipment capable of rescuing people
sailing in deeper waters, about 1.5 km from shore (not farther, as middle of lake is
1-2 km from nearest land). In the worst case they would rescuing (coordinating rescue)
from big tourism ships circling lake and carrying about 100-200 people or people from sailing
boats who ignored warning of an incoming storm.

I am not familiar with Baikal or other actually big lakes but I expect that they may have
similar or more serious rescue services, comparable with marine ones.

> Looking at some of the existing lifeboat tags, I've also noticed that virtually all of them are tagged as both amenity=lifeboat & also emergency=lifeboat, which would seem to break the One Tag Only rule?

We have no "one tag rule". There may be confusion with
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/One_feature,_one_OSM_element

>> Suggesting rendering is OK. But "should render with the same pink colour as currently used for"
>> reads like instruction that render is supposed to follow
>>

> Certainly not intended that way!

Great! I was mentioning this because there were cases of confused people who
thought that OSM Carto (default map style) is obligated to follow outcomes
of proposal process, including implementation of proposed rendering rules.

[1] or more specifically - had when I was there last time