[Tagging] Default access for service=driveway?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Dec 23 10:41:59 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 10:14:39AM +0100, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A property owner in Germany has complained that several routing engines
> - crucially also the one used by the local transport authority - route
> pedestrians trough their private residential property as a "shortcut"
> for accessing a bus stop.
>
> The private residential property has two driveways (highway=service,
> service=driveway) entering it from different sides, thereby enabling
> people to save a few metres by walking through, rather than around, the
> property.
>
> These driveways do not have an access=private (or access=destination)
> tag or anything like that.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Should a routing engine automatically assume that something tagged a
> "driveway" is not suitable for through traffic?
>
> 2. If you map such driveways, would you add access=private (or
> access=destination) in OSM...

> 2a. ... even if there is no specific signage locally?
> 2b. ... if there is a sign that says "access to houses X,Y,Z" without
> saying that other access is forbidden?
> 2c. ... if there is a sign that says "private driveway"?

Nope - No sign/physical barrier - No tags - For every tag/object there
should be something in the reality. And that (at least for Germany)
matches the legalese. As long as there is no explicit shown barrier
or sign you cant prosecute people (You can tell them to leave
and if they dont you can).

And tagging something as service/driveway is enough of visible fact
to increase cost in routing graph.

I even have to accept hunting on my property because i dont
have a closed fence. (Yes thats German law, and it happens 2-3 times a
year for me)

At least for OSRM i know that in the car profile service/driveway goes
up in cost in the graph as does access=destination and the like.

Flo
PS: There is nothing like a access=destination in graphs. Its emulated
by increasing costs so you typically wont use it as "through traffic"