[Tagging] Cartpath RFC

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 00:45:11 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 4:54 PM Seth Deegan <jayandseth at gmail.com> wrote:

> The original article I cited to name the value "cart_path" came from this
> site. It's also common terminology.
>
> https://www.golfdistillery.com/definitions/course-elements/course-layout/#cart-path

The above article is specific to golf.  Outside of golf those terms have
different or additional meanings.  For example the preceding term is in the
article is "garden", which obviously has many meanings outside of golf.

If I was on a golf course and I saw a sign that said "cart path", or I was
looking at a map specifically of a golf course, I would know what "cart
path" meant based on context.  If I saw a general map with the term "cart
path", or if the term came up in general conversation, I either wouldn't
know to what it referred, or I would assume it was a path for animal drawn
carts as another person posted in this thread.

> Even,
> Golf cart path companies <https://www.rubberway.com/golf-paths>
> and
> the USGA
> <https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/course-care/green-section-record/58/11/do-we-really-need-those-cart-paths-.html>
> call them golf cart paths.

Although a bit wordy, I think in the context of OSM "golf_cart_path" makes
more sense than "cart_path", if the standard term is "golf car" then
"golf_car_path" works too.

However, I agree we should have tagging specific to these paths, regardless
of exactly what we call them.

Mike