[Tagging] Definition of lake/pond as applied to stream/plunge pools

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu Dec 24 05:04:43 UTC 2020

On North America's west coast and in "the West" (ern states of the USA), I've heard "hole" used for both fishing spots and swimming spots in creeks, streams and rivers (and "pools," what I often see called a "thickening" of the river, such as a calmer not-quite-eddy off to one side that might go a bit deeper than usual, sometimes with river-cliff diving!).

I've also seen "official" naming conventions on waterways like "Branciforte Creek Reach 2" where an urban river/creek becomes a concrete canal (named "Reach 1"), becoming channelized to flow into a more major waterway.  Los Angeles has a lot of these (concrete, channelized rivers) in its vast conurbation, very useful for flood control.

Yes, if I want to angle in a creek or river, I'll do it on public land, where there are plenty of opportunities (sometimes requiring a permit from state Fish & Game department, sometimes not).  Somebody wants to charge me money for a permit to fish on private land, I'll pass, thanks.  I realize that in some parts of the world, though, "that's how angling happens."

Two whole cents,
SteveA