[Tagging] highway line representation

Alex supaplex at riseup.net
Fri Dec 25 23:17:38 UTC 2020

Is there actually a consensus on whether a highway line should always
run in the middle of a road - i.e. represent the road as a physical
object - or whether it should rather follow the line of travel of the
vehicles on the road? The driving line of the vehicles can differ from
the centre line due to various circumstances: e.g. due to (structurally
created) chicanes, but also, for example, due to parking lanes with
parked vehicles...

It seems to me that there are two possibilities: Either the highway line
represents the roadway itself, or it represents the line of travel (and
is thus in a sense a routing aid). I have uploaded a graphic here to
illustrate the problem:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Highway_representation.png

According to which of these variants must/could/should one map?

Alex