[Tagging] highway line representation

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 23:46:45 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 4:19 PM Alex <supaplex at riseup.net> wrote:

> According to which of these variants must/could/should one map?

Interesting question.
1) Given that the width of a lane of traffic might be around 3.5 meters
wide (depends on the type of road and the jurisdiction), most of the
sources we use are not that accurate.  The exception is that if you average
many different GPS tracks, in which case you would get the center of the
line of travel (not saying that is, or is not, the desired outcome).

2) A related question, where to place the way in OSM for a road that has
more lanes of travel in one direction than the other direction (quite
common in the mountains where there is often a "passing lane" on uphill
sections so that slower traffic can be passed).  Perhaps this has already
been determined and I am just not aware of the answer, but your question
caused me to think about it.

Mike