[Tagging] sport=shooting_range vs sport=shooting + leisure=pitch

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Dec 26 01:41:49 UTC 2020

"Brian M. Sperlongano" <zelonewolf at gmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps simply leisure=range, as this would be generic to any type of
> facility where one might fire projectiles or ordnance.  You could then
> extend that with something like range= to specify what is being fired,
> and/or the existing sport= key if it's considered a shooting sport.

leisure does not seem apt.    Ranges get used for a variety of things:

  1) shooting for competition/recreation
  2) training of individuals
  3) training of law enforecement
  4) trainign of military
  5) testing of new military systems

Any given range might have a focus; a private range might have 1, 2 and
3 and a miltiary base range 1, 3, 4, 5 but maybe also 2.   Also 1/1 is a
hard line to draw.

So I think this should be more of a functional facility tagging rather
than trying to sort out those purposes.