[Tagging] Power Storage Proposal (RFC)

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 12:18:34 UTC 2020

OSM power key use to get values defined by IEC 60050 standard.
http://www.electropedia.org/

A battery is defined by 482-01-04 as a set of cells.
http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=482-01-04

A cell is a assembly of component allowing to get electricity from chemical
energy, defined by 482-01-01
http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=482-01-01

A generator is defined by 151-13-35 as a device converting non-electric
energy into electricity.
http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=151-13-35

Then a battery would actually be a particular generator, as chemical energy
isn't electrical energy.
Flywheels, compressed air systems aren't batteries, for instance.
I didn't understood it that way at first glance.

However, If we come to define power=battery in OSM, it should be
exclusively related to chemical assemblies.
That doesn't prevent to have other power=* values that relate to mechanical
or kinematical devices.

As electricity can't be stored, storage always occurs in a non-electric
form and then involve only power generators.
Nevertheless, it's a property of both plants and generators then defining
storage=* or power_storage=* would be more than welcome.

All the best

François