[Tagging] Power Storage Proposal (RFC)

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 13:19:02 UTC 2020

Hi Lukas, hi Christian,

Le mer. 30 déc. 2020 à 11:05, Lukas Richert <lrichert at posteo.de> a écrit :

> I would be strongly in favor of power=energy_storage for individual
> modules instead of tagging them as power=generator as proposed.  I think it
> is useful to separate generation from storage.

Then you're in favour of separating primary (not storage) from secondary
(storage) battery cells?

> While both transform energy from one from into another, generators convert
> from primary energy sources such as fossil fuels or solar, while storage
> devices convert from intermediate media, such as electrochemical cells.

Primary battery cells runs on electrochemical substances which precisely
act as a fuel here.
I'm sure we'll find somewhere where primary cells are refilled in place.

> I'd also like to note that OSM does not, in fact, use the IEC definition
> of a generator.

IEC  151-13-35 = "energy transducer that transforms non-electric energy
into electric energy"
OSM = "A device which converts one form of energy to another, for example,
an electrical generator."

Do you consider a difference in the output form of energy?

Le mer. 30 déc. 2020 à 13:29, Christian Pietzsch <
christian.pietzsch at piespace.de> a écrit :

> I updated my proposal and tried to include your idea mentioning the
> difference between primary power generators and storage.

It's better, thank you.

Note that if power-to-gas is considered as storage, petroleum tanks should
be as well.
Don't we confuse storage and vector production?

Le mer. 30 déc. 2020 à 13:34, Christian Pietzsch <
christian.pietzsch at piespace.de> a écrit :

> I think type as I use it in the proposal fits quite well. After all it
> groups up devices with similar properties.

Then "type" isn't useful. It often (not to mention always) doesn't bring
additional information as anything is a type or category of something in
OSM.
storage=battery is as meaningful as storage:type=battery

All the best

François