[Tagging] Power Storage Proposal (RFC)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:46:40 UTC 2020

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 at 15:38, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le mer. 30 déc. 2020 à 15:41, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Are you sure that professionals within the industry regard batteries as
>> generators or is this the result of a strict parsing of the IEC definition
>> to give a result that was not intended?
>>

> At first it is a strict reading of IEC definitions
> IEC people had discussions and spent time I'm not competent to question as
> well.

I think you're reading things into it that weren't intended to be there.
But I
could be wrong.

> I had a look at how French TSO considers batteries integration in the grid
> and there are times they clearly describe them as power source, like
> mechanical generators.

Both generators and batteries are power sources, but not all power sources
are generators, just as not all power sources are batteries.

>> Looking at the IEC definitions of cells, batteries, etc. I didn't
>> see anything that obviously classed them as a category of
>> generator.  They appeared to be distinct from generators.
>>

> IEC 482-01-01 battery cell "basic functional unit [...] that is a source
> of electric energy obtained by direct conversion of chemical energy"

A source of electrical energy.  I agree with that.  What it doesn't say is
that
it's a generator.

IEC 151-13-35 generator "energy transducer that transforms non-electric
> energy into electric energy"
> chemical energy is non-electric energy here

But a battery is not considered an energy transducer.

By one particular reading of the IEC documents, batteries can be considered
generators.  I don't think many professionals in the power industry would
agree with that interpretation.  But it's been a long time, and maybe I
wasn't paying attention, etc.  I'd be happier if we had somebody working
in the industry give an opinion on that.

> As said before, no problem to define power=battery for chemical cells
> only. However no one brought solutions to deal with many other
> storage-capable devices.

Give a list of storage-capable devices and see what the list comes up with
for names. :)

Also, I understand the desire to tag everything related to power generation
under power, but electrical storage devices store energy, not power.
Electrical Engineers and physicists would be upset at the idea of
storing power.

--
Paul