[Tagging] Power Storage Proposal (RFC)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 21:37:36 UTC 2020

On 31/12/20 5:28 am, François Lacombe wrote:

> Le mer. 30 déc. 2020 à 17:00, Christian Pietzsch
> <christian.pietzsch at piespace.de
> <mailto:christian.pietzsch at piespace.de>> a écrit :
>
>     But do they really use non-rechargable batteries? I guess for
>     these edge-cases power=generator + generator:type=battery would be
>     a solution. But all isolated cases I have stumbled across that are
>     big enough to include into OSM (not thinking of the clock on my
>     neighbors wall xD) have some kind of way of recharging them.
>     Thinking of remote telecom towers here that often use diesel
>     generator or some installations that use car batteries (sometimes
>     charged by solar).
>

> Underground or arctic off-grid facilities may encounter situations
> were there is no sun nor wind to be charged and you're forced to come
> periodically to change the battery.

The outback Australian ones are rechargeable.

Communities have back up diesel generators. Microwave repeaters too use
rechargeable... these do fail - usually the recharging system fails not
the battery (solar is installed .. don't know if they back that up with
diesel).

I would think underground facilities would not want batteries in them,
they would have most of their batteries above ground for safety?

The arctic I don't know. Antarctic winds are fairly strong!

 From

https://www.powerengineeringint.com/renewables/storage-in-the-arctic/

looks like they use rechargeable batteries ... and wind with diesel.

Cost and environmental issues would, I think, place non rechargeable
batteries out of any large commercial energy storage system.