[Tagging] How to tag an utilitarian fountain?

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Sun Feb 2 22:32:33 UTC 2020

The problem I see here is that the amenity=fountain wiki description is
too restrictive.
Saying that "A fountain for cultural / decorational / recreational
purposes. (...) This might range from the usual fountain that you'll
find in lots of city centers, up to large fountains like the Trevi
Fountain in Rome (...) The water of those fountains is often not
suitable for drinking."

leaves these kinds of fountain in a limbo.
To me amenity=drinking_water should only be used to map simple water
points where people can drink clearly potable water, like bubblers in
parks or free water dispensers in public areas.
Maybe the wiki could be more clear on that, to allow better mapping of
these features.