[Tagging] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.25.0

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Feb 5 14:46:56 UTC 2020

On Wednesday 05 February 2020, Andy Townsend wrote:

> It doesn't sound like a tagging issue to me; I'd suggest that the
> renderer that made this change did so in error.  Is using a different
> renderer an option until it is fixed (perhaps the Humanitarian tiles
> linked from openstreetmap.org)?

The change in rendering is intentional.  Is has been explained in:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3844

As explained there the only feasible alternative would be to stop
rendering barrier tags on polygon features universally.

I know that for a mapper who has used this kind of tagging in the past
unaware of its inherent ambiguity it seems weird that this is ambiguous
tagging because in isolation it seems clear what it means.  But within
the overall data model and overall consistency in tagging
interpretation it is.

If there is a consensus in the community about it the following approach
would in theory allow ultimately re-introducing the rendering some are
missing now:

1) remove all rendering of barrier tags on polygons
2) mappers in a concerted effort resolving the semantic ambiguity of the
>350k cases where barrier tags are currently used as a secondary tag on
landuse/leisure/etc. polygons to incidate the polygon is enclosed by a
linear barrier.
3) (re-)introducing the rendering of barrier polygons with a fill where
this is consistently used tagging.

Note (2) would be a massive endeavour without precedent in OSM history
and regarding (3) it should be noted that barrier=hedge is currently
not the dominant method of mapping strips of trees or bushes with
polygons, see for example:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/50.4774/5.2980
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/51.5144/5.7404
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/48.8437/6.2252