[Tagging] How to tag an utilitarian fountain?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 21:20:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 20:54, António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com> wrote:

> I did read the description closely, and what I said still applies: in
> Portugal it is a fountain in the way it is described in Britain, an
> amenity=fountain with no drinking water.

I think we may be talking past each other again.

That's what I'm trying to explain from the beginning: it doesn't matter if
> it has drinking water or not, it will always be a fountain.

Which is the case in Britain for ornamental/decorative fountains.
Regardless
of whether or not they supply drinking water, they're fountains.  But
utilitarian
drinking fountains, of the kind found in schools, are not "fountains" in
normal
British English usage.

> But in the cases (the majority of them) that they have, we should be
> allowed to apply the drinking_water=yes, regardless if in Britain that's
> not the case.

It is the case in Britain that if an ornamental fountain supplies drinking
water
then the tag drinking_water=yes should be applied.  I don't think anyone
said
otherwise, or that you shouldn't apply drinking_water=yes to fountains in
Portugal.  The only thing that may be different is that Britain may not have
as many ornamental fountains that supply drinking water as Portugal does.

This way, everyone is happy: you still call it fountain in Britain, and I
> still call it fountain in Spain, Italy, France, Portugal or wherever, with
> the difference that the chance of them having potable water is higher.

It doesn't matter which country the fountain is in.  If it supplies potable
water then
add drinking_water=yes and if it doesn't supply potable water then don't
add drinking_water=yes (perhaps even add drinking_water=no if most
ornamental fountains in the area supply drinking water.

What I was objecting to was the idea that in some countries amenity=fountain
is assumed to supply drinking water by default.  It needs an explicit
drinking_water=yes.

--
Paul