[Tagging] key damage and HOT

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 23:45:21 UTC 2020

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 23:29, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree with the whole premise. To me both building=yes+ruins=yes and
> ruins:building=yes means exactly the same thing and should be interpreted
> the same way.

But they AREN'T.  The way you suggested was the correct way to tag a ruined
building DOES NOT RENDER.  And you never even noticed, you just made a
blind assumption and told me how to do things based upon your incorrect
assumption.

You can't say on one is when you want it rendered on the map and one to
> hide it. That's essentially a render=yes/no tag, which I don't think has
> any place in OSM.

Really?  Explain to me the difference between building=yes +
disused:amenity=place_of_worship and building=yes.  Both
render as buildings.  Neither render as a place of worship.  One has
additional
information that is of use to people.  If you have your way, I  can and WILL
decide whether or not something should render as a place of worship by the
presence or absence of amenity=place_of_worship and that tagging will be
entirely correct and match reality on the ground.  You just want me to
tag in a way that loses information.  I see no merit in that.

> If one renders and not the other that's a rendering bug and you can't
> assume that will always be the case for all maps.

Some would regard it as a bug.  From comments made by the OSM standard
carto people here, I suspect they see it as a feature.

--
Paul