[Tagging] [OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.25.0

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 10:48:30 UTC 2020

Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de>:

> I originally was under the impression that
> use of barrier tags as a secondary tag for landuse polygons etc. was
> consensus among mappers based on the fairly large use numbers for that
> (>350k)

Correct.

> but it quite clearly isn't.

Yes it is, but an explicit area=yes adds the information that the whole
area is the barrier.

If area=yes is added to say a leisure area surrounded by a hedge, that is a
mapping mistake. If that results in the area displaying as a hedge area,
the mapper has to correct that, not the renderer.