[Tagging] Public refrigerators

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 18:29:39 UTC 2020

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 18:31, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)
<robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with your thoughts re not using amenity=recycling. I've tagged
> a couple of Community Fridges near me as
>
> amenity=social_facility + social_facility=community_fridge
>
> as this tagging (although not documented anywhere) mirrors that for
> Clothing Banks, Food Banks and Soup Kitchens, which are listed at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:social facility , and seem to
> be related sorts of things. (Though I'm not sure how much these
> community fridges are designed to provide useful items for those in
> need, versus just help reduce waste versus. The balance is probably
> slightly different for each implementation.)

The primary aim of the public fridges here in Switzerland (example
[1]) are clearly to reduce food waste by sharing food (give something
and take something else), not to provide food for the poor (although
they can of course use them too). Therefore, amenity=social_facility
doesn't fit.

[1]: https://www.madamefrigo.ch/en/

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 18:39, Tim Magee <timothy at eastlincoln.net> wrote:

> I would agree with tagging as
>
> amenity=social_facility
>
> rather than
>
> amenity=public_fridge
>
> because I would prefer not to add to many more amenity types. Rather I would
> want to subclass existing amenity types.

Is there a problem with more amenity=* keys?

Maybe it would have made sense to put all reusing facilities together
in amenity=reuse or similar, but with already 5,538 uses of
amenity=public_bookcase it's probably too late.

Markus