[Tagging] depreciate recycling:metal in favor of recycling:scrap_metal

Markus selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 11:50:24 UTC 2020

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 at 22:35, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> then my suggestion would be the deprecation of scrap_metal in favor of metal. I could imagine though that the term scrap metal was introduced to distinguish it from other kinds of metal collection, like e.g. aluminum cans or aluminum foil
> so for me it seems plausible to have different tags for metal recycling, generally.

I can't see a difference between recycling:scrap_metal and
recycling:metal. If a distinction was intended, then a more clear tag
should have been chosen (e.g. recycling:iron or
recycling:magnetic_metal). Actually i would have preferred
recycling:metal (the additional scrap_ is unnecessary), but as
recycling:scrap_metal has been used nine times more often, it seems
sensible to deprecate it instead.

As for more specific metal recycling: some recycling containers for
tin and aluminum cans also accept small metal items like screws, nails
or chains. Maybe it makes sense to tag this. But how? Using
recycling:scrap_metal (or recycling:metal) would likely make people
wrongly assume that they can also dispose of larger pieces of metal
there (e.g. pots, pans, metal shelves or bicycle frames). What about
recycling:small_metal_items?

By the way, am i right that recycling:cans is for both tin and
aluminium cans (and thus implies recycling:aluminium)? Or is it only
for tin cans?

Wishing everyone a happy new year!

Best regards

Markus