[Tagging] depreciate recycling:metal in favor of recycling:scrap_metal

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 13:20:28 UTC 2020

On 31/12/2019 15:27, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> What's the difference between "metal" and "scrap metal". I would have
> thought any metal can be recycled (if the rightful owner is OK with that).
> What am I missing?

It depends on the context I suspect.  If we're describing bins at the
local tip, then the terms may well be pretty much synonymous. If you
move a bit further up the value chain though there's definitely a
difference - a company that is a steel stockholder may well be involved
with recycling metals but will probably bristle at being described as a
"scrap metal merchant"!

Any attempt to deprecate values is probably a bad idea.  If you look at
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=recycling etc. you can see
that there's quite a lot of overlap between values, but I wouldn't worry
about it.

Best Regards,

Andy