[Tagging] POI data and Addresses on areas - Was: addresses on buildings

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 16:51:08 UTC 2020

Am Sa., 11. Jan. 2020 um 12:35 Uhr schrieb Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com
>:

> Just to illustrate the problem, try find this address on OSM:
> 13, Via Aeroporto, Orio al Serio, Italy
> You get some ten results most of them with the correct address.

first 11 results seemed all perfectly ok to get there :)

> Very precise and clear.
> Every jurisdiction may have a different definition of what an address is.
> In my specific case the Italian address definition, i.e. the entrance to
> the building from the public road/footway network, or part of building with
> that address, seems to be very precise, and is the one which the
> authorities need to know when they want you (for whatever reason).

this is a "housenumber" (it:numero civico), but then people have addresses
(it:indirizzo). So somehow the people (businesses, entities, etc.) are
linked to their housenumber, and as it seemed overkill to have relations
for this linkage we usually put address tags on the features as well.
(There's some evasion attempt by adding feature data to the entrances and
gates, but it has topology issues and combines different "things" in one
object, or by keeping the feature address unknown).

Cheers
Martin