[Tagging] Tagging Free Water for cafés, bars, restaurant

Hauke Stieler mail at hauke-stieler.de
Mon Jan 13 18:57:02 UTC 2020

Hi Stuart,

> The proposal below does not seem optimal, but if that is what is decided
> we will write wiki instructions in this manner.
No decisions have been made so far. Currently all these mails just
contain ideas and discussions.

I'm personally a fan of the namespace scheme, the one with the ":"
separating parts of a tag. You'll find this e.g. on addresses:

	addr:street=*
	addr:city=*
	addr:housenumber=*

Or also for parking situations:

	parking:lane=*
	parking:lane:left=*
	parking:condition=*

This semantic separation of a key creates a nice structure and organizes
this huge collection of possible tags into groups.

> I still prefer free_water_refill=yes/no  free_water_table=yes/no
Because the beginning of these two tags are the same, for me personally
it's a reason to change them into "free_water:..." tags.

Using this scheme, I can also imagine the following tags (just ideas,
the keys and values are probably not optimal):

free_water=<yes/no/customers>
free_water:container=<customer/supplier/both>
free_water:table=<yes/no>
(maybe more...)

However, in the end, there must probably be a tag proposal (a wiki page
describing how the final tags should look like, what they exactly mean,
when to use them, what use-cases do they have, etc.). Everybody can vote
for or against the proposal, therefore it's in the end on the community
to decide what tags become "official".

Hauke