[Tagging] How to tag oneway restriction applying to pedestrians?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:49:54 UTC 2020

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 16:46, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 14 January 2020, Paul Allen wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 14:35, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Mine goes like this: leading the list is the completely meaningless (and
> > > guess most will agree with this judgement) oneway:foot=no
> > >

> > It's not meaningless at all.  It says that although the road is oneway to
> > vehicular
> > traffic, pedestrians may walk in either direction.  This is not always
> the
> > case:
> > single-lane roads without a pavement may require that pedestrians only
> walk
> > in
> > the opposite direction to oneway vehicular traffic on safety grounds.
>
> Any real world/GB examples of this?

Nope.  But I don't need any.  Martin suggested that oneway:foot=no was
meaningless.  Your request for examples means you're asking a different
question, whether or not it is currently necessary to make it clear that
a way which is oneway for vehicular traffic is not oneway for pedestrians.

There may be no examples of its correct usage anywhere in the world.  It's
possible there may never be any such examples (but that is not something
you or I can guarantee).  That wouldn't make the tag meaningless, just
unnecessary.  The meaning of the tag is perfectly clear to most people
here; the (current) necessity for it is arguable.

--
Paul